CRBA Appointment Page

Scheduling an Appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

To submit your application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for review and receive an appointment, please email the following materials to us at

  1. Specify all of the following details:
  • Full name of the applicant
  • Date of birth and place of birth
  • Email address (if different from the address you are using in your email)
  • Phone number
  1. Completed pages 1 and 2 of the Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029) (PDF – 53KB).For example, if two of your children require Consular Reports of Birth Abroad, please scan and attach a completed Form DS-2029 for each child. Boxes 24 and 25 on Page 2 should list all long periods of time you spent in the United States at any time in your life including childhood (short visits can be included to the best of your recollection).

NOTE: The form is nine total pages in length, including directions and additional information, but please only email completed pages 1 and 2 of the form to us now. You will be required to bring all nine pages with you to the interview.

The copies of pages 1 and 2 must be clear and legible to be considered. We will not accept incomplete forms. The original of all pages of form DS-2029 must be brought with you to your appointment at the Consulate General.

  1. In your email, indicate your top two preferences for an appointment day and time in the next 30 calendar days. Please specify the day of the week (Monday-Friday) and the time (8:00-10:00 a.m. period or 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. period) for each of the two preferences. You may request a certain day of the month, but we cannot guarantee that we can accommodate your request. The response time for application requests is up to 5 business days; therefore, do not request an appointment any earlier than that.
  2. If you have urgent travel (in the next 30 days), please indicate your travel dates and attach a copy of the paid flight itinerary for the child. You will also need to present your itinerary at the time of your interview. Please note that you should not make travel plans to the U.S. for your child until his/her U.S. citizenship has been confirmed through approval of the CRBA.
  3. If you plan to apply for passports for the same person or additional people during your appointment, please list the full names of each person (first, middle, last name) who will apply for a passport at this appointment, along with their date of birth, in your email.
  4. Please include a phone number at which you can be reached.

Required Documents for your Interview

Once we have reviewed your application and you have received your appointment time from us via email, you must bring the following with you to your appointment. You will NOT be allowed to enter the Consulate if you are missing any of the first seven items below:

  1. A completed Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029) (PDF – 53KB) for each applicant applying for a CRBA.
  2. A completed DS-11 or DS-82 for each person applying for a passport. Each passport application must include a passport photo complying with our strict photo specifications. Children applying for a CRBA should use form DS-11 for their passport application. If one or more of the parents cannot come in person, he or she must meet the requirements for providing consent for passport issuance.
  3. The child’s original, certified birth certificate that indicates both parents’ names, if applicable. This certificate must be issued by a governmental issuing authority; a hospital birth record is not acceptable.
  4. Photo IDs for both parents. This may be a passport, driver’s license, or government-issued ID. IDs for both parents are required even if one parent is not attending the appointment.
  5. Proof of the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship. This may consist of a U.S. passport, a certificate of naturalization, a certificate of citizenship, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or a U.S. birth certificate accompanied by a valid photo ID.
  6. The original, or a certified copy, of the parent’s marriage certificate (if applicable). Note that in cases of Jewish marriages, a “ktuvah” or “psak din” issued by the Chief Rabbinate are not considered official marriage certificates and a document from the Office of Religious Affairs is required.
  7. A non-refundable application fee of $100 for the Report of Birth Abroad. This fee will not be refunded even if the Consular Officer determines that your child is not eligible for citizenship. Additional fees apply for each passport for which you are applying. Please click here for more information about paying fees at our office.

If you have been previously divorced or have changed your name, you will also be asked to provide the following:

  • The original or certified copies, of divorce decrees from any of the parents’ previous marriages. Note that in cases involving Islamic or Shari’a divorces, an official court document certifying the irrevocability of the divorce is required.
  • Evidence of name change. If the name of the parent(s) or the child varies from document to document, you must provide evidence showing the link between the names. This evidence may include a marriage certificate if your name was changed through marriage, a court order, a name change certificate issued by a government authority, or other evidence showing the use of both names.

The Consular Officer may request additional documents to demonstrate your physical presence or residence in the United States. These can include:

  • School transcripts
  • Medical and/or vaccination records
  • Copies of school yearbooks showing you during your years of schooling
  • Rent or mortgage records in your name or that of your family when you were a minor
  • W2 forms (but not other tax documents)
  • Mail sent to you at an address in the United States
  • Other documents that you would only have if you were in the United States. Due to fraud concerns, we no longer accept letters from schools, other academic institutions, or religious institutions. We also do not accept tax documents because you are not required to be in the U.S. to pay taxes.

Applicants should provide photocopies of all the required documents listed above.