Criminal Background Checks

U.S. citizens living abroad are frequently asked to present a “certificate of good conduct” or “lack of a criminal record” for a variety of reasons, including adoption, school enrollment, immigration, and employment. U.S. embassies and consulates do not provide such documents, nor do they generally take fingerprints. Please see the Department of State’s website for additional information on criminal record checks for U.S. citizens.

The Consular Section also does not provide “certificates of good conduct” or registration letters for U.S. citizens who are applying to immigrate to Israel. Citizens who are asked to present such documents should consult the appropriate ministry of the Government of Israel and may wish to consult our list of attorneys if seeking local counsel.